Wednesday, May 30, 2007

It is time to say goodbye

I have been publishing The Dees Diversion (formerly known as DED Space) for four years and ten months--five years, for all practical purposes. I have also been blogging for Mother Jones' MoJo Blog for over a year and nine months. That is a lot of blogging, and the time has come for me to cut back. After this week, The Dees Diversion will no longer be published. There are several reasons I made this decision:

I have never succeeded in marketing this blog the way I wanted to, despite doing everything I could think of to market it.

I am tired, not so much of the hoardes of ignorant conservatives in the blogosphere, but of the hoardes of so-called liberals who do not support women's rights, LGBT rights and the liberation of non-humans, as well as the liberals who are not interested in looking at facts and making rational arguments.

But mostly, I have neglected creative writing to the extent that it has been a long, long time since I have written a short story, and I am often too tired to work on my poetry. This drain on my time and energy is the main reason I am giving up intensive blogging.

Publishing The Dees Diversion has been a great experience, however. If I had not decided to blog, I would never have met ae of arse poetica, or Kathy of What Do I Know?, both of whom I now count as friends. This blog was featured on CNN's "Inside the Blogs," and even though I do not care for CNN, I have to admit it was nice to be showcased. It was through writing this blog that I was invited to blog for Mother Jones, which has also been a great experience.

Meeting my two blogging friends (I have met with Kathy a couple of times) was certainly the highlight of my blogging experience, but I also cannot forget the intensive, non-stop blogging (I got an arm injury from it) I did when we evacuated to get out of the way of Katrina. The nights I spent at Lefty's Lounge with The Heretik helped get me through the hurricane. Joe, Catherine, Matt, Agi, Melissa, handdrummer, and all of you who were there to talk to me and wish me well really made the experience easier...and who can forget the karaoke?!

There are other bloggers I also feel like I know to some extent: delagar, Helen Wheels, Pinky, Ann Bartow, Amanda, Ken, and others, some of whom no longer blog.

There were few bad experiences. Being verbally abused by the Koufax Awards coordinator stands out (my crime was that I and some of my readers wondered why I had been left off the list after being nominated several times). Most of the attacks I've received, however, have come from a few impolite MoJo readers, not readers of The Dees Diversion (there were never enough readers to draw too bad of a crowd).

I don't know how long I will leave The Dees Diversion in cyberspace--maybe a long time. I certainly encourage everyone to read some of the blogs in my links list. I have always kept it updated, and all of the blogs are worth reading.

In a week or so, I'll get rid of the email address associated with The Dees Diversion. A few of you have my "real" email address; if you do not have it and would like it, drop me a line at the blog email address while it is still active, or just post a comment asking for it, and I'll send it to you at your blog email address.

Will I ever blog again? Well, since you ask...the one thing I'm not tired of blogging about is the WTA, so I have launched Women Who Serve, a blog about the Sony Ericisson WTA Tour. If you are not into women's tennis, I urge you to give it a try. But even if you have no interest whatever in the WTA, rest assured that Friday cat blogging will go on! If you want to see Roxie and Velma and their pesky friends, Ziggy Stardust and Tarzan, they will still appear every Friday on Women Who Serve, and they would love to have you drop in and admire them.

I will also continue to blog at the MoJo Blog, but on a weekly (rather than daily) basis, so you can still visit me there, too. And I'll continue to visit your blogs, of course.

Thanks to everyone who read this blog and supported my efforts on behalf of truth, decency, sanity, and the rights of women and girls, people of color, LGBT citizens, and non-humans.

Labels: ,

33 Comments:

thank you for your work and good luck

By Blogger da po' boy, at 11:49 AM  

Thanks! Good luck with your new projects. You'll be missed.

By Blogger Roni, at 2:00 PM  

It's me, Ann Bartow, now without a Blogger account for some reason. I'm sorry to read this but certainly understand. You are one of my favorite bloggers and I'll miss your posts here. Also, please let me take you to lunch or something if you find yourself in Columbia SC.

warmest regards,
Ann

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

I'm sorry to see you go Diane. I agree that if you want to write, blogging only gets in the way. I may come to that same decision myself. I'm glad you'll still be at MoJo; I'll watch for your posts there.

By Blogger egalia, at 12:09 AM  

I'll miss you -- you've changed my perspective on several issues. delagar

By Blogger delagar, at 8:01 AM  

I will miss your blogging very much. You always posted items that I saw no where else, which made a click to your site worth it.

But I agree; creative writing has been almost impossible for me too, and when Leah goes to school I want to devote as much time as possible to that again. So, I guess, as much as I hate to see you leave blogging, I will say I totally support your decision.

I will definitely stay in touch--I know where you live, as they say!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:13 PM  

Oh crap,

I just found out about you from Ann B's blog. I wish I had known about you sooner.

I'm a feminist and a devoted animal welfare advocate, too. I think I would have liked it here.

I wish you all the best with your latest projects!! I'll drop by MoJo and check it out!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 PM  

Po' Boy, thanks so much, and I salute you for your fine in-depth reporting on New Orleans and Louisiana.

Thank you, Roni; it was kind of you to come by.

Ann, thanks so much for your support; I am quite a fan of your blog, also, as I think you know. And likewise, if you come to New Orleans--I'm not that far away.

Egalia, thank you very much. I've relied on Tennessee Guerilla Women many times as a good source.

delagar, that means a lot to me. I'll be dropping in to read your blog, of course.

Thanks, Kathy. It wasn't an easy decision to make. I'll be around to check out cows and tasty recipes, as well as all the other great tidbits you offer.

Anon, I wish you had found me sooner, too! Thanks for dropping by.

By Blogger Diane, at 8:33 AM  

Wow, Diane. I understand your reasons and will miss you a lot! I will email you and stay in touch.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:46 PM  

Thanks, Catherine. I really appreciate that.

By Blogger Diane, at 10:25 AM  

Daine

I'm so sorry to see you go. I liked your blog for the perspective you had/have, and I thank you for enlightening me on much of it.

Your complaints against folks not getting it (animals/LGBT/etc) are not, I think, because of anything you did/did not do. Often times, I've found that it is easy for people to misunderstand or not care about things they have no direct experience or association. It also doesn't help that the MSM highlights the worst of the worst, or the most flamboyant/shocking examples. For example, many Caucasians assume that black folks are shifty, lazy thieves---because the only images they have of us is the crap they see on TeeVee or what they heard from someone else. I don't doubt the same thing happens to LGBTs.

My only complaint was that this blog seemed to be starved by your blog at MoJo. Often, you'd have incomplete entries here with the nefarious "Continued at MoJo" link. I understand your time was split and you had to make do with what you had. Selfishly, I'd rather you quit MoJo and continue here. :)

Anyway, take care and thanks for all the pomegranates. I hope to see you again sometime.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 PM  

MadDev, thanks for your kind comments.

I did the abbreviated posts by choice; it seemed like the fair thing to do, not to double-post my MoJo entries.

By Blogger Diane, at 2:09 PM  

Diane, I'm so sad to hear you won't be blogging regularly. I do understand how time consuming and draining of other interests regular blogging can get. At least you'll still have a presence in the blogosphere with MOJO and I will look forward to learning more about tennis :)

BTW, the feeling's mutual. And your diversion has been a favorite online diversion of mine since I discovered it some time ago.

Great luck!

By Blogger Pinky, at 2:43 PM  

Thanks so much, Pinky.

By Blogger Diane, at 9:36 AM  

Thank you for your great work here. Hope to see you around the blogsphere.

By Blogger Dharma, at 9:46 PM  

Thanks, Dharma. I appreciate that.

By Blogger Diane, at 7:36 PM  

great! thanks for sharing!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 PM  

Your blog has been great!! I will miss you here! I wish you all the best for you other ventures!

This is Ibrahim from Israeli Uncensored News

By Blogger Ibrahimblogs, at 3:20 AM  

coach outlet, new balance, louboutin pas cher, polo lacoste pas cher, nike roshe run pas cher, lululemon outlet, true religion jeans, coach purses, coach outlet, sac guess pas cher, vanessa bruno pas cher, polo ralph lauren uk, kate spade outlet, nike free, burberry pas cher, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, nike tn pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors, michael kors, north face pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, north face uk, nike free pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, hermes pas cher, vans pas cher, converse, mulberry uk, abercrombie and fitch UK, jordan pas cher, nike air max pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe uk, michael kors uk, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, lunette oakley pas cher, lunette ray ban pas cher, nike air max uk

By Blogger oakleyses, at 9:49 PM  

new balance shoes, iphone cases, asics running shoes, babyliss pro, ipad cases, mac cosmetics, s6 cases, nfl jerseys, salvatore ferragamo, iphone 6 cases, abercrombie, iphone 5s cases, mont blanc, bottega veneta, softball bats, reebok outlet, oakley, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, soccer shoes, nike air huarache, celine handbags, nike roshe run, instyler ionic styler, nike air max, beats by dre, hermes handbags, jimmy choo outlet, iphone 6s plus cases, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, iphone 6s cases, ghd hair, hollister clothing, nike trainers uk, louboutin, longchamp uk, p90x workout, iphone 6 plus cases, polo ralph lauren, north face outlet, chi flat iron, vans outlet, valentino shoes, lululemon outlet, wedding dresses, timberland boots, north face outlet

By Blogger oakleyses, at 9:52 PM  

new balance shoes, iphone cases, asics running shoes, babyliss pro, ipad cases, mac cosmetics, s6 cases, nfl jerseys, salvatore ferragamo, iphone 6 cases, abercrombie, iphone 5s cases, mont blanc, bottega veneta, softball bats, reebok outlet, oakley, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, soccer shoes, nike air huarache, celine handbags, nike roshe run, instyler ionic styler, nike air max, beats by dre, hermes handbags, jimmy choo outlet, iphone 6s plus cases, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, iphone 6s cases, ghd hair, hollister clothing, nike trainers uk, louboutin, longchamp uk, p90x workout, iphone 6 plus cases, polo ralph lauren, north face outlet, chi flat iron, vans outlet, valentino shoes, lululemon outlet, wedding dresses, timberland boots, north face outlet

By Blogger oakleyses, at 9:58 PM  

I have never succeeded in marketing this blog the way I wanted to, despite doing everything I could think of to market it.

By Anonymous Máy hàn miệng túi, at 11:13 PM  

los angeles clippers jerseys
gucci outlet online
coach outlet online
oklahoma city thunder jerseys
mcm outlet
ugg boots
ugg outlet
burberry handbags
scarpe hogan
moncler tracksuit
2016.12.24chenlixiang

By Blogger Unknown, at 8:55 AM  

Packers and movers bangalore to ahemadabad

Packers and movers bangalore to Mumbai

Packers and movers bangalore to Noida

By Anonymous komal sharma, at 2:46 AM  


I have got you saved as a favorite to check out new things you post
http://www.kuwait-bazaar.com
http://www.kuwait-bazaar.com/technician-health/
http://www.kuwait-bazaar.com/sewage-company/





By Blogger Unknown, at 3:29 PM  

Happy Birthday hd quotes wishes greetings

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 PM  

coach outlet
ugg boots clearance
nike blazer
hermes belts
ugg boots clearance
uggs outlet
nike huarache femme
christian louboutin shoes
golden goose shoes
ugg boots clearance

By Blogger jeje, at 12:38 AM  

يسر شركة شام ان تقدم لعملائها الكرام افضل خدمات المسابح من خلال فرعها بالدمام المتخصص بتنظيف وصيانة برك السباحه فذا كنت تحتاج الى تنظيف مسبحك او القيام بصيانته ما عليك الا الاتصال بنا لنصلك فورا
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالدمام
مع شركة شام سوف تحصلون على كل ما تتمنونه من خدمات بافضل واحدث الاساليب العلميه فلا تقلق ولا تحتار شركة شام هي افضل اختيار .

By Blogger موزه طه, at 8:55 AM  

شركة مكافحة الصراصير بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الناموس بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الاسود بالرياض
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش بالرياض
شركة مكافحة البرص بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض

By Blogger ركن كلين, at 9:27 AM  

Hiring packers and movers in Gurgaon is not too hard if you take help of the best moving professionals. Best movers and packers Gurgaon assist with their skilled and trained team to pack, load, unload and unpack your belongings.
So be aware and hire the best mover packer to save your valuables.
packers and movers Gurgaon
packers and movers Gurgaon Charges

By Blogger Moving Solutions, at 7:02 AM  

Khi thị trường dịch thuật ở nước ta ngày càng trở nên sôi động và phát triển mạnh về số lượng như vậy, các doanh nghiệp có nhu cầu sử dụng dịch vụ dịch thuật cảm thấy bối rối khi không biết đâu mới là những công ty dịch thuật uy tín nhất Việt Nam? trong trường hợp này, lựa chọn dịch vụ của ; dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp - MIDtrans một công ty dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp có trụ sở tại 01 Tây Sơn, Nam Lý, Đồng Hới, Quảng Bình là sự lựa chọn sáng suốt.
Chúng tôi cung cấp dịch vụ dịch thuật đa ngôn ngữ: Anh, Trung, Pháp, Nhật, Hàn Quốc, Đức, Nga, Tây Ban Nha, Bồ Đào Nha, Ý, Hà Lan, Ả-rập, Iran, Séc, Thụy Điển, Đan Mạch, Ba Lan, La Tinh, Hungari, Bungari, Slovakia, Ukraina, Lào, Campuchia, Thái Lan, Myanma, Philipin, Indonesia, Malaysia, Hán Nôm và các ngôn ngữ khác.
Quý khách hàng có nhu câu biên dịch, phiên dịch vui lòng liên hệ
Công ty dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp MIDtrans
ĐC: 01 Tây Sơn, Nam Lý, Đồng Hới, Quảng Bình
ĐT: 0963918438
Email: info@dichthuatchuyennghiep.com.vn

By Blogger Công ty dịch thuật chuyên nghiệp MIDtrans, at 11:15 PM  

THIS BLOG HERE
THIS BLOG HERE
THIS BLOG HERE
THIS BLOG HERE
THIS BLOG HERE
THIS BLOG HERE
THIS BLOG HERE
THIS BLOG HERE
THIS BLOG HERE

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 AM  

Thank You for Sharing your words. Mobile marketing is quite popular among companies as it gives maximum return on investment. Another good thing about this advertising is that it is relatively cheaper than traditional forms of marketing. You searchbulk sms service in coimbatore there are a lot of companies that provide this service. They spend millions of dollars in advertising and they won't hesitate in investing a few hundred dollars in SMS marketing if they find merit in it. The reality is that mobile advertising is beneficial for every business whether it is a manufacturing unit or a service group. In short, you won't have to struggle to get customers for your reseller work as clients will come to you as soon as they come to know about your SMS reseller service.

Bulk SMS Service Coimbatore |
OTP SMS Coimbatore | Service Implicit Coimbatore

By Blogger Google-officials, at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home