Friday, February 16, 2007

Someone needs to pick me up off the floor

I think I may have fainted when I read David Brooks' column, "No Apology Needed," in which he deconstructs the "When is Sen. Clinton going to apologize for her war vote?" brouhaha. Says Brooks:

I mean, have the people calling for her apology actually read the speeches she delivered before the war? Have they read her remarks during the war resolution debate, when she specifically rejected a pre-emptive, unilateral attack on Saddam? Did they read the passages in which she called for a longer U.N. inspections regime and declared, “I believe international support and legitimacy are crucial"?

Brooks makes the case that Clinton has been totally consistent in her approach to Iraq from the first vote through her announcement that she is a presidential candidate, and that she argued for diplomatic leverage both publicly and behind the scenes. He says that, having reviewed all of Clinton's speeches and statements, he no longer regards her explanation as "a transparent political dodge," but as an accuate reflection of where she has always stood on the subject of Iraq.

4 Comments:

Its only available to subscribers :(

By Blogger Ragnell, at 11:58 PM  

I realize that. I read it in my local newspaper. But if you look around, you can find more excerpts on the Web.

By Blogger Diane, at 9:01 AM  

I love Democrats, and I love being a Democrat. There, I said it.

But one thing I'd change about Democrats if I could is the tendency we have to let our idealistic selves have full sway during primary season, only to be lackluster and less than enthused when a nominee is finally announced.

Right now, I look at everyone in the Democratic primary race, and any one of them are better than Giuliani or Romney or (shudder) John McCain.

So here I am to pick you up off of the floor, and to ask kindly that we save our vitriol for those who truly deserve it.

(Bush, Cheney, Rove, McCain, Rice, Boehner, Limbaugh, Hannity, Keyes ...)

By Blogger Red Seven, at 6:11 PM  

Well spoken. I'm not a Democrat, and I do not find Clinton any worse than any of the other Democratic hopefuls; I find her better than some. And when compared with enemies of democracy like McCain and Giuliani, she looks fantastic.

By Blogger Diane, at 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home