Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Another plea to stop insulting women and girls

A few years ago, I was at a restaurant with some friends, and a very young man called someone a "douchebag." I shook my head, and he, thinking I objected to his calling someone such a "bad" word, said to me, "no, really, this guy really deserves to be called that." "No," I told him, and when he went to argue with me, I said "because when you call him that, you're saying there's something wrong with my vagina, and I resent that."

This appeared to confuse him, a woman at the table laughed in an "I'm with you but I won't say so out loud" kind of way, and that was the end of the conversation. This morning, I noticed that someone on a major so-called liberal message board has asked its members to stop calling people douchebags for the same reason. Most of the response was relatively positive, though a few people made the standard put-down remark about the "language police."

What's interesting is that those same "liberals" would have a fit if someone on the board said "nigger" or "kike."

4 Comments:

I've heard feminists explain this one away by saying that douches are bad for you, so this is an acceptible insult.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:34 AM  

That would be true IF that were the way people meant it when they said it, but come on, everyone knows what they mean. Some feminists.

By Blogger Diane, at 1:32 PM  

Actually, I did hear about the Great Douchebag Debate, but chose not to get involved in it. And when I posted today, I forgot to link to it. Thanks for adding the link, Ann.

I just read the Pandagon post for the first time, and while I understand the rhetoric, I stand by what I said the first time--none of the men using the term is referring to anything other than the concept that "vaginas smell bad."

By Blogger Diane, at 4:18 PM  

coach outlet, new balance, louboutin pas cher, polo lacoste pas cher, nike roshe run pas cher, lululemon outlet, true religion jeans, coach purses, coach outlet, sac guess pas cher, vanessa bruno pas cher, polo ralph lauren uk, kate spade outlet, nike free, burberry pas cher, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, nike tn pas cher, hollister uk, michael kors, michael kors, north face pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, coach outlet store online, nike air max uk, north face uk, nike free pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, hermes pas cher, vans pas cher, converse, mulberry uk, abercrombie and fitch UK, jordan pas cher, nike air max pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe uk, michael kors uk, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, lunette oakley pas cher, lunette ray ban pas cher, nike air max uk

By Blogger oakleyses, at 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home