Saturday, December 16, 2006

A Flakey and delicious meal

As a regular reader of What Do I Know?, I always look forward to Kathy's Wednesday Food Blogging, and from time to time, I prepare one of her dishes. I have never been disappointed. We had dinner guests last night, and I decided to turn to Kathy's stash of recipes for inspiration for part of the meal.

I made strawberry daiquiris, using freshly harvested Louisiana strawberries, picked in an early harvest. To go with them, I made a white bean spread, which I served with crackers. That got us through the sit-and-chat part of the evening. For dinner, I served a warm endive salad flavored with fig-infused white balsamic vinegar, Kathy's lemon and rosemary flatbread (with rosemary from my garden), Kathy's Swiss chard with white beans over penne, and finally, Kathy's strawberry parfait, again, using Louisiana strawberries. I served a 2003 Callifornia syrah, and music was provided by Elvis Costello, Talking Heads and the B-52s.

All three What Do I Know? menu items were superb. The flatbread was piquant and herbal at the same time, and the pasta dish was absolutely delicious. I have served Swiss chard with pasta before, but I like Kathy's recipe better than my own. The parfait was a big hit--just the right consistency. Fortunately, there is leftover pasta, so we have a good meal planned for this evening. And my second loaf of flatbread will work for my dinner party next Saturday night.