Thursday, September 28, 2006

John Kerry opens his mouth and I cringe--again

Sen. John Kerry wants you to know he knows God. He wants you to know it in the worst way. In yet another tiresome speech about his 2004 mistakes, Kerry told an audience in Malibu all about how he returned to his Roman Catholic faith in 80s, after he had "wandered in the wilderness." He also said he was sorry he had been reluctant to talk about his faith in the 2004 election campaign. "I learned that if I didn't fill in the picture myself," he said, "others would draw the caricature for me. I will never let that happen again...."

No, John. The thing to do is to mightily preserve your right to keep an extremely personal matter personal. The thing to do is to oppose the tackiness of insisting that people expose the most intimate details of their inner lives to idiots from CNN. The Catholics who are anti-choice are not going to vote for you, anyway. The Catholics who are pro-choice (how do they remain Catholics?) can probably see through this charade. And the the non-Catholic fundamentalists think you are going to hell, anyway.

If you want to say that you are a Roman Catholic, okay. I don't like the idea that you feel you have to say it, but okay. But to talk about the most profoundly intimate matters of your life does not solve the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home