Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Finer Points of War

The Finer Points of War
By Diane Elayne Dees

A twelve-year-old boy, kidnapped in Iraq
and held for ransom. The family paid--
his sexually abused body then found
in a plastic bag, hanged by his own clothes.
"This," says CNN's talking head,
"isn't regular warfare--it's barbarism." What I would like
for him to tell me is which part of the whole affair
is regular: the bombing of families in their homes,
the raping of children, the blowing up of buildings?
The murder of members of one's own religion,
the deaths of soldiers through roadside bombs?
What of the torture of prisoners, the abandonment
of veterans, the assaults on our own soldiers by our own soldiers?
I am not schooled in the fine points of atrocity--
where is the expert to tell me whose blood flows
in a regular stream down a street of debris and despair?

Originally published on the Poets Against War website

1 Comments:

Thank you, Kathy. The Poets Against War (formerly Poets Against the War) website is a good one. The poetry display is different now, though. Instead of showcasing all accepted poems each day, they showcase only a few a month. I thought they hadn't accepted this one until I just happened to check my page there and see that they had added it.

By Blogger Diane, at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home