Saturday, August 05, 2006

Please help put a stop to the auctioning of animals

Here is the text of most of my letter to the Acura Classic. Actually, the Classic does not list an address, either electronic or ground (strange in itself), so I used the address of the resort where it is held each year. (If you would rather call, the phone number is 800-854-5000, but that is the number for the resort, not the tournament.)

Director

Acura Classic

c/o La Costa Resort and Spa

2100 Costa Del Mar Road

Carlsbad, CA 92009


Dear Tournament Director:


I was quite disturbed to hear that a puppy was auctioned at your charity auction this year. Obviously, the event had a happy ending, with Kim Clijsters bidding high and giving the puppy to who appeared to be an deserving person. But a puppy is a living creature, not an "item" to be sold to the highest bidder.


Auctioning off animals is a practice that has significantly decreased in this country because of concerns raised by humane activists, and I hope that the Acura Classic will join other organizations in putting a stop to such auctioning.

2 Comments:

This reminds me, at my daughter's elementary school carnival, I kept seeing people walking around with goldfish in plastic bags, that they'd won at one of the booths. I couldn't believe it.

But this being liberal Madison, there were lots of complaints to the PTO about the carnival--and the fact that one of the prizes was small flags, some of which were Confederate. You should have heard the outrage!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:54 AM  

I no longer have any illusions about people giving a damn about the welfare of other creatures, but you'd think--with all the publicity--they would at least learn that doing certain things will cause others to protest.

But wait--they don't learn because they are not paying any attention to anything that is going on.

A couple of years ago, I was in one of the local Carnival bead stores and saw a string of Confederate flag beads. I asked to see the manager and told him I thought the beads would offend some customers. He said he didn't think that was the case. Well, I had already asked some of his employees what they thought, and they were very offended. I told him he might even consider that the product was offending his own staff, and it was certainly offending me.

He said he would take them off the shelf. Of course, I didn't believe him, but I made several trips there during the next few weeks, and they were not there. And they have never returned. You never know.

By Blogger Diane, at 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home