Thursday, August 10, 2006

On Islamists and women

Nina Burleigh has a post worth reading at The Huffington Post. Burleigh discusses the often-ignored motivation behind so much of Islamist rhetoric--the total disdain of women, and the belief--supported by women--that men cannot help themselves if they are tempted with sexual desire. She tells about a silent encounter she had with a fully-covered Muslim woman on the subway, and, as one would expect, there are already comments up questioning Burleigh's assertion that the "woman problem" is a significant part of Islamic extremism.

Burleigh also talks about an ugly encounter she had with an Arab man in a shop, and how she regrets she didn't respond to his aggression. Many years ago, I was walking down a sidewalk in the French Quarter and chose not to make eye contact with a man who was coming toward me with his eyes boring into me. If you are a woman, you will understand why, on the street, it is sometimes better not to make eye contact. This happened to be a man of color, and when he reached the spot where we would have passed each other, he stopped, got in my face, and whispered in my ear "Scared bitch."

I wanted to shake him and say "I'm not avoiding eye contact with you because you are black; I am avoiding it because you are male and staring a hole through me." But of course, I could not do that.

1 Comments:

I was just thinking about this very thing. When I see women in the full niq?b I wonder how they can possibly be educated in any modern Western sense and still believe they should submit to this. It's sort of like my opinion on those who refuse to believe in evolution.

And the sad, and scary, thing is, I see women dressed like this every time I walk the streets of London.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home