Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I read a good story the other day

On a message board, someone recounted his/her encounter with a middle aged conservative couple at a restaurant. Seeing that the person who told this story was in a military uniform, they stopped by his (I think it was a man) table and said "We totally support our military; of course, we're Republicans."

To which our soldier replied, "That's nice. I'm a Democrat."

To cover the embarrassed silence, he then said "Do you have children?"

Oh yes, they assured him--a son and a daughter.

"Where are they serving?" he asked.

They looked at the floor, mumbled "They're in school," and walked out.

3 Comments:

I am constantly amazed by how many people think the military is full of Republicans. I met a lot of Dems at military events. If they (Republicans) would bother to join, they might find this out.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:41 AM  

Unfortuantely, from our state, only those who needed the extra income from the guards signed up. They were in hopes they, like their fathers, might spend their lives getting that extra money and a little insurance and not ever have to go kill anyone. While most of the people that I know who have sons and daughters that have gone or are in Iraq, most are democrates but there are republicans, poor republicans. The rich kids, well why would they join, dad pays for their education, they usually don't need the added income, and are usually set for life and never need to worry about a second job or education. EVery time I see one of those hummer drivers with the yellow ribbon, I try to ask them where the children or child is serving and all of those that I have asked say the same thing, my kids are in school. Righteous, I say. But, I'm glad you support the troops.
By the way, I miss your kittens.

By Blogger zelda1, at 5:51 AM  

Yes, I like OYE--it's been featured on this blog a few times, in fact.

By Blogger Diane, at 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home