Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Unrelenting expressions of misogyny

Maia's post on Alas, a Blog, says more about the state of sexism and misogyny than anything I've read lately, and says it succinctly. Not only is it almost always women (I know there are men who speak up for women, and I know who you are, and I treasure you, but I am generalizing, and you know you are in the wee minority) who are speaking up for women, but only a few women, at that.

I, too, honor freedom of speech, but how sad and frightening that the freedom taken is the freedom to humiliate, objectify, and threaten women and girls. And just as sad, those who could take that same freedom of speech to object to the abuse and sexism remain silent. Men and women.

3 Comments:

You know, sometimes, in my family, the men are so arrogant, and they think women have a place, put there by god, and if they get out of that place, bad things happen, like war, hunger, tornadoes, and on and on. Even my Mr. Zelda has this mindset that women are weaker there fore they are somehow below men. At least once or twice a month, I have to stop and say, I can't believe you said that, or what are you thinking. Misogyny, sad that people misunderstand and think someone who dislikes women has to be mean and cruel and abusive. They don't realize that sitting on their fat butts expecting their little women to wait on them hand and foot and talking down to them and laughing at them and on an on, well that's being misogynistic. It took me five years to break Mr. Zelda from saying that women who were successful got there on their backs. Yes, he did, or that women were bimboes, not all but any that pissed him off, as in a bad driver, ect. The really sad thing, women are often just as misogynistic as men.

By Blogger zelda1, at 5:45 AM  

By the way, I love your post, it is one of the first that I read. It gets me started, like my first cup of coffee.

By Blogger zelda1, at 5:47 AM  

Thank you for saying that, Zelda.

By Blogger Diane, at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home