Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Predatory behavior pays off for Foxx

At the ESPY Awards a couple of years ago, Jamie Foxx behaved in a disgustingly lewd way toward Serena Williams when she came onstage. He literally had her trapped while he proceeded to paw her all over and say sexual things to her while he sang an original song, "I Wanna Be Your Tennis Ball." The routine has generally been described as described as "funny" or "hilarious." I failed to get the humor. Though no fan of Serena's, I wanted her to slap him. She was visibly uncomfortable, but neither she nor anyone else stopped Foxx.

I learned today that Williams has been hanging out in Miami with Foxx. Why am I surprised? Sexual abuse and humiliation are all the rage now. And the perpetually injured Williams sisters, who are dressed obscenely in furs at all the right clubs, have become more a part of the celebrity scene than the tennis scene.

I used to really enjoy the Williams sisters, especially their independence and their refusal to say what they were "supposed" to say to the press. I liked Venus's composure and Serena's wit. I confess to having grown tired of their always appearing together in Grand Slam finals, but that wasn't their fault; they were just too good. Now, Serena is out of shape, both sisters are too injured to play much, and the fur-wearing has put me over the edge.

All the same, I was sorry to hear that Foxx's inappropriate behavior was rewarded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home