Monday, March 13, 2006

A few words about TV programming

Isaac Hayes, who made a lot of money in many episodes that made fun of religion on South Park, has suddenly decided that the show goes too far in making fun of religion. His protest appears to coincide with South Park's send-up of Scientology. Is that really a religion? Anyway, he is leaving the cast.

Has anyone else noticed that one of the big messages coming out of Desperate Housewives is that men are really, really stupid? Especially the men who become involved with Susan, who lies, cheats, meddles, and generally wreaks havoc wherever she goes. Men do anything she wants, no matter how much she mistreats them. I still like the show, and it doesn't matter what the stories are because everything about Desperate Housewives is so outrageous.

Then there is The L Word, which is having a very bad season 3. I almost stopped watching it, the third season has been so bad, but there are some signs of redemption. Unfortunately, there is now a storyline--the "sexual harrassment" suit--that has nothing to do with reality or with the law. But the producers of that show, for all their cleverness, often pay little attention to fact and detail. I suppose they assume their viewers do not know any better, but this one does, and I suspect a lot more do.

Those of you who watch The L Word are probably feeling pretty sad about the death of Dana. I am. And though I usually cannot stand to hear a group of actors sitting around talking about their show, the commentary by the show's actors on how sad and/or angry they felt over Dana's death was fascinating. Today, I discovered this incredible interview with Daniela Sea, who I now think is one of the most interesting people I've heard about in ages.

And finally...I have written before that it troubles me that in Medium, Allison Dubois is always referred to as "Mrs. Dubois" and not "Ms. Dubois." But what is really strange is that Allison's husband on the show is Joe Dubois, and her brother is Michael Dubois. Hello? Either a Dubois married a Dubois, or there are some really careless people working on this show. The real Allison Dubois, by the way, does have a husband named Joe. I don't know if she uses her family name or his name, but I'm willing to bet that both of their family names are not "Dubois."

1 Comments:

I'm always in when it comes to tee-vee talk! I don't get Showtime, so no "L Word" for me. But, wow, no more Chef. When those Scientologists get hold of you, they won't let go. (I've heard - don't get in a conversation with one in this city because they will not let you go.)

I find it odd that he's so uptight about this. If he found the show so upsetting, maybe he should have left when Cartman underwent an anal alien probe in the first season.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home