Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Duke lacrosse team case gets uglier every moment

The alleged rape and terrorizing of two African American women by three members of the Duke University lacrosse team is one of those stories that, the more you peel away, the uglier the view gets. The best resource for learning everything you wish you had never learned is the blog, Justice 4 Two Sisters. Another good source is Alas (a blog).

The alleged incident is like a mini-movie of everything that is wrong in America. The victims were female; the perpetrators male. The victims were black; the perpetrators white. The victims were exotic dancers (read "sluts"); the perpetrators were holy athletes.

But these generalizations only begin to tell the ugly story. The team members have formed a tight circle of silence, and it turns out that 15 of them have police records. The coach, as Justice 4 Two Sisters points out, is nowhere to be seen or heard, and the national media is ignoring the story.

From Black Feminism:

I’ll put the race issue aside. This is also the result of universities allowing a negative athlete culture. More than a few studies have shown that athletes and frat boys are more likely to rape than other men, in part because all-male environments encourage aggressive and violent displays of manhood. I suspect that campuses that force athletes to live with everyone else (shout outs to AU) have less of a problem with Athletes Gone Wild.

2 Comments:

Today in a campus cafeteria (not at Duke) I overheard two students commenting on the incident because our campus newspaper printed the story. One of them said, "But see, I read the 'she was a stripper' part and I lost all sympathy," the other laughed, and then he continued, "No I'm serious though. It's like, 'Sorry you were raped but don't you think that comes with the territory?'"

...I almost lost my lunch on the spot...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM  

That is the mentality of all rapes. The first thing that is asked, "What was she wearing." In my case, I was wearing pajamas with cinderella on the front and on the back there was a picture of a pumpkin. I was nine.

By Blogger zelda1, at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home