Thursday, March 23, 2006

Boys don't do that

Today, I was standing in line somewhere, and a mother and her two children were ahead of me. The mother was busy negotiating with the clerk, and the little boy, who looked about 8, had a little stuffed poodle he was tossing into the air while he yelled. His older sister, who looked to be 11 or 12 and obviousy fancied herself quite the sophisticate, rolled her eyes and said "Stop it, James." James kept tossing and yelling and looking at me to see if he could get a rise out of me. Then he grew tired of the game and held the poodle close to him, cuddling and rocking it.

"Stop it, James!" his sister said sharply. "Boys don't do that."

1 Comments:

When my seven-year-old was just a baby, I bought him many little dolls and stuffed animals to play with. He loved to cuddle his babies, but his father threw a fit. So, all the dolls and stuffed toys were kept at my house and when he came over, he held them and played with them in secret and as he got older made me promise to not tell his father. He still likes to play with froggy. It's a sad day when children are not allowed to play with a toy because it is not part of society's idea of being gender specific.

By Blogger zelda1, at 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home