Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A valentine with no heart

On my bookshelf is a photograph of my father showing my mother how to shoot a rifle. They are standing in front of an old shack in the middle of nowhere, both looking smart in their 40's trousers. My father towers over her as he stands behind her, helping her steady her hands on the gun. She looks like Hedy Lamar in a still from a pre-war Western.

I found this gem several years ago, after my mother died and I had to go through her things. The picture haunts me. The entire time I lived with my parents, I never saw my father help my mother do anything, and the only time I saw them stand close to each other was when he was punching or slappping her. They didn't dance together, though my mother was a great dancer. They didn't sit near each other. They barely spoke. There are no other photographs of them together.

It is somewhat ironic, therefore, that the one photo I have of them in a position of physical closeness is one in which the focal image is an instrument of violence.

My mother was a war bride. After I had grown up, she told me that one of her friends had warned her that her husband would probably be violent. The first week they were married, he hit her because she opened his wallet. My mother, I should add, was the most provocative person I have ever known. Though seldom physically violent toward me, she did everything she could to provoke me to hit her, and I used to hear her doing the same thing with my father, who was often happy to oblige. Theirs was a relationship, like most relationships, based on mutual need, and the needs were very unhealthy.

We lived in a rural area, and my mother was isolated from social circles where she might have found some emotional satisfaction. There was no displaced homemakers' program, no battered women's shelter, no job training, and no child protection services (that part hasn't changed much). The police considered domestic violence a "personal affair." I once heard a policeman tell a man who was beating his wife in public, "Take her home and beat her there."

Whenever I get those emails about how great it was "back then," I want to scream. I get them from time to time from seemingly intelligent people who must have really liked segregation, gay bar raids, toxic abortions, and laws that made women virtual prisoners in their own homes. My father drank a lot, but no one ever did an intervention on him. No one ever offered war trauma services to either of my parents. There was no government program to send my mother to school, no consciousness-raising group to help her understand why she was an abused woman, no self-help group so she could talk with other women who were victims of domestic violence.

She never left him. Where could she go? She had little education by American standards, little job training (she had worked as a millinery designer), and practically no self-esteem. When he died, she seemed sorry, which I found abhorrent.

When I look at the photograph of my parents with the gun, I am always a bit surprised that some time, long ago, even if they were just posing for a photograph, they were in sync enough to actually look like a real couple. That picture is the only evidence I have that at some point, they may have liked each other and planned a future together.

That photo is their valentine, as far as I am concerned. It was the best they could do, and it wasn't anywhere near good enough. They are gone, and there is nothing anyone can do for them. Now it is a new century, and today, in America, women and girls are battered at a rate of one every nine seconds. Those who try to leave their abusers are at a 75% higher risk for being killed than those who stay.

No amount of cards, chocolates, and flowers can change the truth.

Entry for the Feminist Valentine Blog Awards

5 Comments:

I, too, remember the good old days. Men could beat their wives and when and if the cops did show up, they just took the man down the road to cool off and turned him loose. A man could rape a child and because he was the father or step-dad, it was for the family to handle, which meant, it was swept under the carpet. For somereason, my mom picked abusive men, and while she didn't provoke the fights, she wouldn't leave him, not for anything. I do remember my older brother's wife. She provoked my brother even tot he point of waking him up from a drunken stupor and picking at thim until he finally just beat the living hell out of her. The next day, it seemed she wore her black eyes and swollen lips like a badge and was all over my brother giving him hugs and kisses. I never understood that relationship, nor do I now. It's great that you have the picture, but don't try to over analyze the picture. Just be happy that you have one of them together. I wish I had a picture of my father and my mother, but for my mom, my real father was just a passing fancy, and when I was two, she traded him on a man who became my tormentor. Sometimes, I think, as a society, we are not moving fast enough to fix the problems, but I look back and remember what it was like, how children and women had no voice, and I'm happy for the change. I just wish men and women were on a equal playing field. The sad thing, as you know, is that violence beggots violence.

By Blogger zelda1, at 5:55 AM  

I agree that violence *can* beget violence, but it goes deeper than cause/effect. My father beat me with a razor strop nearly every week of my life from the time I was seven until I was fifteen. I hated him for it. That being said, I raised five children of my own and never laid a hand on a single one of them.

I'm not saying this to be argumentative, but I think it's worthy of noting that the mold can be and often is broken, if a person has the desire and fortitude to refuse to allow the past to dictate the future.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:53 PM  

Yes, Bob. I see a lot of people who were terribly abused as children, and many of them made up their minds they would not repeat the pattern, and didn't. I think that is easier to do with physical abuse than with emotional abuse. Those who were emotionally abused often have no conscious understanding that they, too, are abusing their children.

And of course, there are the gazillions who were physically and/or sexually abused, who do repeat the pattern.

By Blogger Diane, at 6:05 PM  

Diane, that is a great post and I truly enjoyed reading it, sad as it is. My dad was abusive, too, but not nearly as bad as it sounds the other posters up here had it, or even a tad as bad as you.

My mom provoked him, too. They are still married, but get this: NOW my mom is the dominant one. She has actually evolved, and learned how to communicate with all 8 of her kids much better than she ever has. I'm amazed and impressed with her. Somehow, she relocated her self-esteem and just went with it and over the years, she is pretty independent despite the fact she's in a very old-fashioned marriage (maybe it's new-fashioned now - she does whatever she wants!).

I have a good relationship with both of them now. It takes a bit of dissociation but I feel lucky that I went to therapy and worked it out (it took a few years).

And none of my siblings who have kids are the least bit abusive, and their kids are just great!

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:07 PM  

I have heard of situations like your parents' before. The woman gets smart and decides she isn't going to be dominated anymore. The man doesn't like it, but he doesn't want to lose his wife. Perhaps in some of these cases, the man realizes it's okay to change the partnership dynamics.

By Blogger Diane, at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home