Sunday, February 05, 2006

Betty Friedan, mother of the Second Wave, dies

Betty Friedan, a major figure in the Second Wave of American feminism, died yesterday, on her birthday, at age 85. When Friedan published The Feminine Mystique in 1963, she spoke for the thousands of American women who suffered from what Friedan called "the problem that has no name"--feelings of unfulfillment and dissatisfaction from a lifetime of suppressing their own needs and desires. Friedan examined what forced domesticity and dependence on men had done to the psyche of American women, and in doing so, struck the spark that turned into a new phase of the women's movement in this country.

What Friedan did not know was that this movement would also embrace issues of women's sexuality, including lesbian identity and gay rights, and she was appalled when the movement took such an inclusive turn. Later in her life, however, Friedan became more socially conscious and joined other feminists in including a wide variety of issues on the agenda of the movement.

Friedan founded the National Organization for Women and the organization that is now known as NARAL. She was the co-founder, with Bella Abzug and Glorida Steinem, of the National Women's Political Caucus.

6 Comments:

As a society, we're better for having heard her voice.

Diane, I like your new logo and name, and I wish you much success.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 PM  

Thanks, Bob!

By Blogger Diane, at 6:02 PM  

I was sad to hear about Friedan's passing, not least because I know these "women's libbers" seem so foreign to some (young) people who have the luxury of taking for granted the advances that women struggled for (and still do). Sigh. My queendom for a new revolution!

Diane, love the new digs. Nice light, better location, and such nice neighbors! =D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:02 PM  

good day friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for that meticulous model. The prices as regards the boots were about 330 pounds everwhere. But finally I bring about this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what do you think?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 AM  

good day ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that exact make. The prices as regards the velcros are around 250 dollars on every page. But definitively I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what can you tell me about these?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 AM  

good day ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I have been digging for that particular brand. The prices for the boots are approximately 340 bucks on every page. But completely I set this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what can you tell me about these?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home