Monday, January 23, 2006

Why anti-choice people enrage me--Part 2

The very people who stand in front of abortion clinics, heckling frightened young women, are the same people who would say "huh?" if you brought up the subject of factory farming with them. They are willing to go to jail to save a fetus, but will sit down to dine on cows, sheep, pigs, and chickens that have been obscenely tortured, then inhumanely killed. They will wear leather without flinching, and do not want to know about the terrible treatment of the lab animals that were used to make their lipstick and aftershave.

Many of us do not think that being human means we have the right to eat and wear other animals. That is our deep conviction. But even realizing that many others do not feel that way, it is nevertheless puzzling that anyone would consent to eating and wearing animals who have been tortured, whose entire lives have been filled with misery, and whose deaths have been painful. But that is what factory farming is all about.

When confronted with the reality of factory farming, people say "I don't want to know."

Of all the social movements which I do not support, the one I can best understand is the anti-choice movement because I understand someone's trying to value life. But to value only pre-human life is, to me, bizarre. A fetus (or a brain-dead woman) must be saved, no matter what. But a living, breathing, endangered human child, or a living, breathing, tortured non-human creature simply does not matter at all.

3 Comments:

They are not unrelated moral issues to me.

"Pro-life" proponents who are against exploiting animals--or at the very, very least--against factory farming, and against war are, to me, people who are living their stated values, even though I may not agree that a fetus is a viable human being. It's just that I don't think there are many of those people around.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 PM  

I agree, and am glad you pointed out the discrepancy. To me, it's really an issue of inflicting cruelty. That's why I'm morally opposed to abortion after a fetus can feel pain--sometime after 26-29 weeks. (I'd err on the side of caution.) This to me is the only consistent position I can take, and it feels right.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:07 AM  

Exactly.

It is about cruelty, exploitation, and hypocrisy. To be okay with killing a cow or sheep (especially after it has suffered every day for a lifetime) but be against aborting a 12-week fetus is a vote for inflicting pain and killing, not a vote for "life."

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home