Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Col. Karpinski says soldiers, to avoid rape, died of dehydration

Col. Janis Karpinsky, former commander of Abu Ghraib prison, testified in New York last week that Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez covered up the cause of death for some female soldiers who died in Iraq. According to Karpinsky, whose testimoney was done for the Commission of Inquiry for Crimes Against Humanity Committed by the Bush Administration, several women refused to drink liquids late in the day in order to avoid walking the long distance to the latrines. Because there were no lights, the soldiers feared being sexually assaulted or raped, Karpinsky said.

According to the testimony, these women did not drink liquids after 3:00 or 4:00 p.m., and in the 102 degree desert heat, they died of dehydration in their sleep.

Karpinsky also testified that, though there was a telephone number female assault victims could call, the soldiers had no phones, and even if they did, the only voice at the other end was a recording.

4 Comments:

Abominable, hideous, criminal, disgraceful... the only other adjective I can think of to describe the acts perpetrated by American officers in their dereliction of duty as commanders in Iraqi prisons would be commonplace.

Rot in hell, General... you are truly a scumbag. You make me ashamed to say I'm a veteran.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 PM  

That's an interesting story. Then why didn't the women go to the latrine at night in groups? I was in the military, and a lone female in the woods on exercises surrounded by men on a regular basis. I had to dehydate myself during the day, because (no latrines at all) there was nowhere I could pee without being observed as long as it was light out. The only time I could go without observation was at night. If someone had tried to rape me (nobody did), well, I was also required to take my weapon with me everywhere I went. I was trained in self-defense, among other things, and I was an excellent shot. I'm sure these female soldiers were also required to have their weapons with them at all times, as all soldiers are. I believe this testimony is a complete fabrication. Female soldiers are smart enough to stick together on outings such as evening latrine runs, and take turns while the rest of them aim their sights on anyone who would bother them. It is also likely that the female soldiers had their own quarters, and that something like a chamber pot for night use could have been in place. This Karpinsky testimony totally lacks credibility. It's outrageous, in fact. Why would these women need phones when they were all armed?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 PM  

P.S. After a few of these trips to the woods, I learned how to cover myself if I had to pee during the day, or to enlist a gentlemanly fellow soldier to keep watch for me. There are many, many difficulties associated with being a female soldier, but it isn't that hard to adapt when it comes to the basics. And these women did have latrines. Col. Karpinsky is, in my humble opinion, not even a good liar.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 PM  

I do not know whether she is telling the truth. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that she is not: Women should have to go to the latrine in groups to keep from being sexually assaulted? (We do know for sure about multiple sexual assaults of American soldiers by American soldiers.)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home