Friday, December 30, 2005

Things that pleased me in 2005

(It wasn't all bad.)

Cindy Sheehan's reminder to America that when our elected officials are spineless, ordinary citizens can still exhibit courage

My attendance at the last half of the Family Circle Cup--the world's largest all-women's tennis tournament--near Charleston

The decision of a second major managed care company to dispense with the dreaded periodic paperwork

My new duties blogging for MoJo Blog

Hearing that Tom DeLay had been indicted

Martina Hingis's announcement that she is returning to the WTA tour (though it does make me anxious)

Our spring garden's immense beauty

Receiving so many generous offers of housing when we evacuated because of Katrina

Irina Slutskaya
's victory at the Women's World Figure Skating Championships. Slutskaya's journey to her second gold medal is an astounding one, ignored by the sports media and by sports fans--never mind athletics, it is simply an amazing story

Kim Clijsters' winning her first Grand Slam--finally, and Amelie Mauresmo's winning the WTA Tour Championships

The saving of Title IX by the U.S. Supreme Court, and then--a few months later--the strengthening of Title IX by that same court

John Conyers' emergence as a non-Kool-Aid drinking, non-denying, outraged elected official who actually represents me

Reading some of my poems on the NPR program, "Theme and Variations," and having some selected to be read on Martha Stewart Living Radio's "The Naturalist's Datebook"--hardly huge literary honors, but nice

Meeting two of my favorite bloggers

And most of all: Spending two weeks in Paris in the fall, easily the best two weeks of the year

2 Comments:

You forgot: Reading of the dedicated work of so many animal rescue workers (much of which I read about here first). This is what gave me hope this year, despite the circumstances of the need for those workers in the first place.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:39 AM  

A point well made. I think the whole affair sickened me so much, I try not to think about it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home