Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Paris--day 4

The forecast was for rain here almost non-stop; we have yet to see a drop. Today, in fact, the sky was clear and it was too warm for my tastes.

I cannot get used to the luxury of turning on Eurosport almost any time of the day, any day of the week, and seeing WTA tennis. In the U.S., we can watch only on weekends, except for the Grand Slams. I happened to put on the TV earlier this evening, when we returned to the hotel after a day at the Louvre, and Kveta Peschke was beating Elena Dementieva, to my great delight, in the second round of the Generali Ladies Linz tournament in Austria.

We spent most of the day in the Louvre, where it is easy to feel overwhelmed. We concentrated on Dutch and French paintings (these included Vermeer's The Lacemaker and The Astronomer), and also took in a few other things, including the Mona Lisa. So far, we have walked everywhere--the Champs-Elysees, the Eiffel Tower (the lines were too long, so we didn't go to the top), Saint Chapelle (right near our hotel), and the Musee Rodin. Tomorrow, we are probably headed back to the Latin Quarter and to Notre Dame.

1 Comments:

I hope I do get a chance, but who knows? We were in the depths for a while, looking at amazing African sculpture and checking out Louis XV's crown. I get museum burn-out in these big places; traveling makes me tired anyway, what with all the jet lag and walking, walking, walking.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home