Friday, October 14, 2005

Good news about Louisiana's giant oaks

The good news is that the oaks in New Orleans are in better shape than previously thought. According to arborists, though there has been a terrible loss of limbs, when the trees green out in the spring, they will look different, but not ugly.

The remaining Dueling Oak in City Park (its partner was uprooted by a hurricane in 1949) had a lot of internal limbs taken out by Katrina, but is still standing. And Louisiana's largest oak (and Naitonal Champion on the National Register of Big Trees), Seven Sisters, located in Mandeville, survived fairly well.

Note to the Philistine who commented on a previous post about the oaks: "Oh no, not the oaks. Must be G.W's fault! Get out the checkbook, save the oaks!"--you better believe we would get out our checkbooks if it would help. Louisiana has some of the most beautiful trees in the world, and we love them. They are treasures to us.

5 Comments:

Screw those non tree huggers.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:47 PM  

Here in Arkansas, we have beautiful trees, beautiful oaks, but the first time I saw a real live oak tree, I stood in awe and didn't want to leave. It was like the first time I saw the giant redwoods, the first time I saw Yellowstone, or The Grand Canyons, or Diamond Cave. Thank god, the trees were spared. And if it wasn't for the first tree huggers we wouldn't have the redwoods now, or any of the other beautiful parks that we all, even non-tree huggers, love to visit.

By Blogger zelda1, at 6:48 PM  

One of my favorite books is Heartwood: Meditation on Southern Oaks, by William Guion. It is a collection of Louisiana oaks (why he didn't call it Louisiana oaks, I don't know), accompanied by Rumi poems.

By Blogger Diane, at 7:08 PM  

When my husband and I were dating, he bought me a book about Florida and it has these wonderful pictures of all the live oaks and the cigar making places and there are short stories by Floridians as well as copies of autobon's paintings, of course knowing how he actually treated the birds he painted puts me in a little different mood toward him, but anyway, that, the Florida Book, is one of my favorites because of the oaks and the swamps and all the natural things. That is what I love about life, the natural things, not the big human built things, well the great wall of China, that's awesome and the golden gate bridge, okay there are a few human built things too.

By Blogger zelda1, at 7:14 PM  

What Heretik said.

Let me know to whom I should write the check. The trees in NOLA were gorgeous.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home