Monday, September 26, 2005

Hurricane lilies arrive right on time

What a surprise, to look out the window this morning and see scads of oxblood lilies, known by many as "hurricane lilies" because they appear after the busiest part of the hurricane season. Yesterday, there were none to be seen, and I hadn't even noticed the buds. The garden is trashed by Katrina, and most things are going dormant, anyway, so I haven't looked at it much. The hurricane lilies surprise me every year, but this year is special.

The pink bud you see behind the lilies belongs to a rain lily. Plenty of them are about to burst forth into bloom in that same bed.

3 Comments:

Off-topic, but looking for hope:

I love New Orleans, my sister's home and my sanctuary, and mourn what happened there.

There will be no elegy or memorial for Cameron Parish, though. That's where I was born; the largest parish with the smallest human population. People who live there have always said that the rest of the country acts as if there were nothing south of Lake Charles, and now it's a fact.

New Orleans deluged by the lake and the river, Grand Chenier overwhelmed by the Gulf, my grandparents' graves under salt water, and I suspect that I better hold on to my memories as best I can, because that's all that's left of home.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 PM  

I am very sad about Cameron Parish. It's hard for me to imagine that everything is just gone...the beaches, the bird sanctuaries, the houses, all of it.

For so long, in my mind, Camille was the worst thing that could happen, but now all of that has to be reframed. I still can't believe that what I have seen on television is real.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:37 AM  

Diane, thanks. For us, the previous benchmark was Hurricane Audrey. I was three then, and my parents lost their house, cattle, horses and everything else. It's gone again, but this time my grandmother's house that saved us last time is gone, too. And this time I'm old enough to really feel the loss.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home