Monday, September 05, 2005

Another day of hotel life

The U.S. Open doesn't return to the USA network until 6 p.m., and the local CBS affiliate pre-empted it to show the Jerry Lewis Telethon. No problem, if you are in a normal place--you just watch it on the UPN station. But there is no such station here, so I had to "watch" via live scoring on the Web. It's probably just as well, insofar as the women's matches were concerned. One of my favorites, Patty Schnyder, was defeated in her round of 16 match, by one of my non-favorites, Elena Dementieva. The other two women's matches also rolled along without any apparent excitement.

So far, both networks have shown more men's matches than women's. The women's matches I've seen have beeen boring, but that doesn't mean that some of the non-big name matches weren't interesting. Live scoring indicates that they were; they just didn't get televised because no one named Sharapova or Williams was playing in them. However, on the men's side, it has been thriller after thriller--a feast for tennis fans, and a wonderful diversion for me.

There are several downed trees in my yard, I've learned, most notably the one that hit our roof, and is still leaning against it. There was a flyover in my parish today to determine if anyone was trapped. The mayor of the city on the other side of the parish from us has warned FEMA that if it continues interfering with his city's recovery, its representatives had better be armed.

Here at the hotel, women (and one grandfather) screaming at their children continue to be louder than the children. I've "cleaned up" the room a bit; I am that way.

This town has a terrible litter problem, but then, so does mine. Even the little algae-covered bayou outside the hotel has soft drink cans and styrofoam cups in it. A hotel staff member said she thought perhaps they were blown over by the wind, but I wonder. The day before yesterday, there was a dead rat outside the hotel. But even with the rat, the algae, and the litter, the hotel property is very pretty, with its garden and courtyard and grotto and rocking chairs. In the evening, dozens of dragonflies hover around the water in the bayou, and whenever I draw near, a multitude of frogs leap out of the water.

I have no desire to go to the cocktail lounge next to my room. It is smoky and usually filled with bad music. Also, I learned from a hotel employee that last week, a group of brawling customers broke the stained glass in the lounge door. It appears to have been repaired. It is pretty: a bayou scene with an egret, a turtle, and a full golden sun.

(A short blogging break here, while Velma, on my lap with front paws on the keyboard, attempts to post)

Since I don't go to the hotel bar, I do some virtual drinking at The Heretik's Lefty's Lounge, located on the Bay of Confusion. Lefty Louise and Betty Blogger serve some mean drinks, and sometimes invite karaoke participation. I often participate, and here, for your own drinking pleasure, is my latest contribution:

With thanks to Trevor Peacock and Herman's Hermits:

Mr. Brown, we've got a lot of water
Floods as great as this are something rare
But it's sad that you don't give a damn
You've made it clear enough, it ain't no good to cry

Well, there's Laura Bush, I see you brought her
Tell her she can go back just the same
Things have changed, we know you hate us now
You've made it clear enough, it ain't no good to cry

Talking down, in a desperate crowd, well
We'd pick you out--hope it makes you feel proud

You know that bastard Bush came by to see us
Told us things were good and lookin' fine
I won't lie, I'd like to break his face
I'd get down on my knees but it's no good to try

Strutting about, crying for the photo
You'd pick him out--he's the heartless bozo

If you think you might come back to see us
Better bring a blanket and some food
I hear the Superdome has vacanies now
Just get down on the floor, it's no good to whine

Mr. Brown we've got a lot of water
Mr. Brown we've got a lot of water...

4 Comments:

Nice! May I perform that at open mike neXt week. I'll even stuff a comb in the guitar strings to get that true Hermits sound.

By Blogger handdrummer, at 12:21 AM  

Be my guest!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 AM  

Diane, I keep thinking of you at that hotel!! When do you think you can go home?? Any news? How are you? Happy to hear the kitties are adjusting.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:36 PM  

I'm probably going home Thursday. I'm fine, except that the cats are driving me nuts in the middle of the night, so sleeping is kind of out. I haven't touched a book or magazine. This is the first time I've ever been able to watch the U.S. Open all the way through (except for yesterday when it was pre-empted by the telethon and there was no UPN station available).

Really, I'm fine. Totally occupied with tennis and blogging.D

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home