Saturday, August 06, 2005

Your best read for the weekend

If you're looking for a little something to make you laugh out loud and pick up your day, I have it. John Snid, the gay guy who runs Refuge, the camp that makes gay people not gay anymore, recounts his own story in what has to be the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've read in a while.

Here are some choice excerpts to whet your appetite:

How would I fit in at the retreat? I wondered anxiously. Fear of all fears, I have to share a hotel room with three other guys. What if they knew that I was coming away from a homosexual relationship? During my first night in a double bed with one of them, I felt like a mummy wrapped up in a bundle of insecurities. I did not sleep a wink for fear that I might bump into him in my sleep.

After dating several women, one gal began paying special attention to me. Vileen would come to my house to watch me mow the lawn.

"Misogyny." What was that? I found out very quickly that it meant "a fear or hatred of women." The hurts, rejections, and difficulties of past relationships with women came to a head with my new wife. Soon I realized that I was feeling a deep anger toward her that I didn't understand. My critical heart toward her was unfounded in anything she had done. She was kind, considerate, loving. She really was not doing anything wrong to merit my response. Where was all this coming from?


I am not making this stuff up. Here is the whole thing, so you, too, can enjoy.

2 Comments:

I read the whole thing. Now I'm physically ill. And he's counseling young boys?

By Blogger delagar, at 5:46 PM  

They don't call it "Love in Action" for nothing.

By Blogger Diane, at 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home