Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Memo from Evacuation Central

The sun is shining in Bunkie, a town that is filled with murals on the sides of its buildings and fences. A trip down the street put me face to face with the kind of south-to-central Louisiana food stands that serve outrageously delicious food that is very bad for you. In my case, most of it is also not part of my no-meat diet: boudin, meat pies, crawfish pie, even baked potatoes stuffed with roast beef.

While I was out, I met a UNO student who knows his apartment won't be there when he returns to Metairie. He advised me that my hotel's cocktail lounge was the town's hot spot and said he'd keep an eye out for me over the weekend, if we're still here. I should be upset about the noise the bands are going to make, but the guests are so loud, the bands will have to work hard to compete with them. Our room is next to the lounge, so we have no choice but to deal with it, anyway.

Roxie and Velma, our cats, have settled in. They still are eating very little, but they've stopped hissing and fighting, and every time one of us leaves, a cat tries to follow us out of the room. There are several dogs--a Pekingese, a Chihauhau, and a very large pug--in the hotel with us. I'm blogging and watching the U.S. Open almost non-stop (I remembered to bring my drawsheets), though we do take breaks to check on hurricane news, which doesn't seem to be totally connected to reality.

So far, the only things we have had to buy are a small brush-type broom and dustbin, a box of Kleenex, some wine and beer, a bottle opener, and a corkscrew. How a Louisianian can evacuate without taking her bottle opener and corkscrew, I don't know, but I left them behind. I did remember my camera, however, and am getting some good photographs.

4 Comments:

It looks devastating in New Orleans. I am so saddened.... I am glad you are OK.

By Blogger Unknown, at 9:06 PM  

Is Lea's Lunchroom still open in LeCompte? (sp?)

I used to love their pecan pie, but I wonder now if it's vegetarian...lard in the crust? Anyway, it was the best pie I ever had, and their other pies weren't bad either.

I'm glad to hear the hotel accepted pets. Most usually don't. I wonder if any relaxed the policy?

Stay safe, and say Hi to any Flakes you run into.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:57 AM  

Thanks, Helen.

Lea's is still there. I looked for the exit on our way here, and I was telling my husband about how everyone stops there for pie. I haven't done that in decades.

Kathy, for some time now, it has been standard policy in Louisiana for hotels to accept pets during a hurricane. However, the hotel we're staying in told us they had reversed their policy. This room was a catch--someone had just cancelled--and I wasn't about to let it get away. Suffice it to say that I have unusually good persuasion skills; they told us all to come.

However, by the time we got here, they had evidently gone back to their former policy, anyway. The hotel is full of dogs. We don't know if there are other cats.

By Blogger Diane, at 9:59 AM  

Hey, it's Albert and family.
We're glad to see you made it, we're in Bonifay, FL.
Keep in touch...email or something.
Al

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home