Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Some thoughts about the Culture of Life

Today, someone told me about a mother cat and kitten who were living near a highway behind a restaurant. The people in the restaurant and the other nearby businesses were giving the kitten milk (guaranteed to aggravate any digestive problems caused by worms) and "looking out for it." No one had called the animal rescue organization. One adolescent had taken the kitten home--with no regard for the mother--but was told by her parents that she couldn't keep it, so she dumped it back in its spot by the highway.

I did what I could to facilitate a rescue, which I think will occur shortly, but what if I hadn't come along? People dump animals wherever they like. Our two cats, Roxie and Velma, were unwanted by the woman who fed their mother, and who didn't want to feed the kittens, but who never bothered to have the mother spayed. A few years ago, someone dumped a mother cat and two tiny kittens in front of my office. People dump kittens over the local bridge. A neighbor of mine told another neighbor that if his dog bothered him, to "just shoot it."

I recently read a letter to the editor of a major daily about how terrible a man was who wrote a letter supporting cockfighting. One of the points he made was that the roosters in cockfights have a better life than the chickens on people's plates. As much as I am opposed to cockfighting, I agree. The woman who wrote the letter said that chickens were put here by God for us to eat, so that was okay. I then wrote a letter, which was published, saying that if the woman was eating grocery store chicken, she was participating in more cruelty than cockfight enthusiasts could ever imagine.

I do not eat meat, but I understand that most people think it is okay to do so. Though I do not understand this choice--because it involves killing--I accept that it is the popular thing to do. But I do not accept eating meat that comes from animals who were severely tortured and then underwent painful deaths, and that is what factory farming is all about. And I do not accept the use of cosmetics and household products whose companies test on animals. I do everything I can to avoid medicines tested on animals, also, and look for the day when this practice will be abolished (the Clinton administration took a big step in doing this, but it was wiped out by former EPA director Christine Todd Whitman).

Recently, someone left a comment on this blog about how frustrated she gets that the same people who get so upset by pet abuse don't think twice about eating factory farm meat or using animal-tested cosmetics. Sentimentality about cute puppies and kittens is useful if it helps the puppies and kittens, but it is usually just a "bad feeling" that goes away before its bearer has to face the realities of our culture's use of non-human animals as garbage.

The non-humans feel pain. They feel loneliness. They feel confinement. They feel impending death. They hear the screams of those who go before them.

8 Comments:

And this is why I'm only buying eggs from free-range local farmers. I cna't eat meat anymore.

Lauren
feministe.us/blog/

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:54 AM  

. . . I thought worms in pets resulted from, well, worm eggs.

By Blogger YAMB, at 12:30 PM  

I made an adjustment in the post because you are right, and I was typing too quickly. Kittens often have intestinal worms, and the resulting digestive problems (caused by lactase loss) are aggravated by the drinking of cow's milk. Cow's milk should also be avoided by cats and kittens who do not have intestinal worms.

By Blogger Diane, at 12:42 PM  

I live in an animal cruelty hotspot. Just this week someone dumped a little dog, a black terrier mix of some sort, no bigger than a chihuahua, in Griffith Park. We couldn't catch him, and were crestfallen (said pooch was probably totally traumatized). The next day my friend and I saw a woman walking the dog in the park and were so relieved! It turns out she found him, in the park, and got him to come to her. He still had tags, so she called the phone number on the tag, and was told the owner "didn't want him anymore."

Of course, that incensed me but I am glad he has a good owner now. What I would have done is call the police and send them to the dumper's house. No one ever does this. It is against the law to dump a pet, and carries a $500 fine. Even my biggest animal-nut friends don't know about this law.

I don't understand most peoples' attitude toward other animals we share the planet with. It just sort of amazes me, really, and always has.

Thanks for the post. It's sad, but the more people whose conscience may be raised by reading about animals' plights, the better.

I can't eat meat anymore, either. I wish no one did.

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:56 PM  

Helen,

Were you able to get the phone number so that you can call the police? I'm assuming the other woman didn't do it.

Just a few minutes ago, I heard about a traffic tie-up somewhere that was caused by an attempted dog rescue and one of the motorists asked the police to just shoot the dog so he could get home.

By Blogger Diane, at 7:14 PM  

And today I heard people defending the fur industry by saying it was either "okay" that they confine and torture animals, or that supporting the industry was "an individual matter of choice."

By Blogger Diane, at 3:35 PM  

Great post, DED, and a necessary one. I will never cease to be amazed that people can offer up rationalizations as empty as "personal matter of choice" as regards the torture of animals (or human beings, for that matter). No excuse what so effin' ever for wearing fur unless you're an Inuit. Factory farm animals -- the whole idea is ghastly and the food industry does a good idea of preventing the public from gaining that knowledge, but how can people privilege their (not necessary for survival) "choice" when they have knowledge of the suffering and inhumanity? What matter is one's selfish "choice" (read: preference, convenience) in this circumstance? Are we a nation of sociopaths as regards (some) animals? (There are, of course, dogs and cats who take nicer vacations than I do.)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:35 PM  

And there are thousands of dogs and cats who are "cared for" by people who don't have a clue how to care for them and who don't care. Declawed cats, dogs tethered by chains, animals with no veterinary care and no reasonable food even though the people can afford both. So even the "pets" are frequently the subjects of cruelty and neglect.

By Blogger Diane, at 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home