Friday, June 24, 2005

Wimbledon--the tournament so far

It's been Wimbledon as usual, with long lines, strawberries, white tennis clothes, and, of course, a rain delay. There is increasing dissatisfaction with Maria Sharapova's so-called grunting, which is really more like screaming, yet no significant complaining about the men's grunting. Imagine that.

Emotional wreck Marat Safin, who thinks women are too emotional, whacked his racquet and got a warning that the next time he did it, he would be penalized. He did it again, and there was no penalty. Instead, he was defeated in the third round, which is all right with me.

Anastasia Myskina
and Jelena Jankovic played the most choke-riddled match in recent history, with Myskina finally prevailing, 6-0, 5-7, 10-8. Maria Sharapova implied that she let Sesil Karatancheva win a game so she wouldn't be double-bageled, and Karatancheva was justifiably angry to hear this. Svetlana Kuznetsova said Sania Mirza played her best best against her worst, and Mirza was not happy to hear that: "Did she say it was my best against her worst? Well thats her opinion and she's entitled to it, but I must say that she seems to be playing her worst a bit too often then. She must have forgotten that she lost to me in Dubai."

And so it goes. The commentators continue to mispronounce the players' names, the commercials featuring Sharapova, Andre Agassi, and Steffi Graf have been shown so many times that fans fantasize about slamming racquets through their television screens, and the really good matches don't get shown on television because Sharapova and Serena aren't in them.

5 Comments:

That fucking Genworth Financial commercial about the damn bills drives me nuts.

Alan Mills was on CBS yesterday, complaining about the women's grunting. Said something about making a rule against it. He didn't say anything about enforcing the rules they already have. Of course, he's retiring, so maybe he just forgot.

On the continuing theme of sexism in tennis, it really pisses me off that the women's names include their marital prefix "Miss or Mrs." and are announced as such, but the men are just men, R. Federer, no prefix needed. Are they afraid that if they weren't labeled as women, people would actually think they were men and come to the matches? The little white skirts should help in that area. More conspiracy...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:52 PM  

The Brits do not recognize America's more egalitarian use of honorifics (not unlike the U.S. Senate), so it is "Miss" and "Mrs."

Only they don't get that right, either! They say "Mrs. Davenport," but she is "Mrs. Leech," just as "Mrs. Likhovtseta" should be "Mrs. Baranov," if you're going to use "proper" sexist honorifics.

By Blogger Diane, at 4:50 PM  

You're right. It drives me crazy. Everyone calls me "Mrs. Flake" which I detest. I just want, for once, someone to simply call me Kathy.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

I have the opposite problem: I can't stand people who don't know me--store clerks, business callers, etc.--calling me by my first name. And I can't stand people who call my house assuming I'm "Mrs. (husband's last name)" when I'm not. And it's not a regional thing: People from all parts of the U.S. assume my last name must be the same as my husband's.

By Blogger Diane, at 5:14 PM  

Первая орудие, побуждающая ляпать это – иерархическая. "Я наделен(-а) особой властью контролировать людей и тебя в частности, и делаю это в общественно одобряемой форме!" Разумеется, никто человека такой властью не наделял, но коекогда от бессознательных убеждений избавиться очень сложно. Будто узаконение, желание "учить жизни и повторять о долге" присваивают себе сплетня с так называемым иерархическим мышлением, которые таким образом банально ощущают себя социально выше за сторонний счет. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-bani/105-stroitelstvo-derevyannoy-bani.html]с чего начать ремонт квартиры[/url]

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home