Wednesday, June 15, 2005

When did people forget how to learn?

Every few years, I decide take on a new interest: organic gardening, computer proficiency, etc., and each time I do, I seek to know as much about the subject as possible. I read books, question people who are already proficient, take classes. Then, when I learn how to do something reasonably well, people say things to me like "Oh, you know so much about it" or "I don't know enough to do that" or "well, I can't do that--I don't know how."

But, I tell them, I didn't know how, either. I learned how. They then tend to change the subject.

It doesn't take much effort at all to learn how to do some things well, and not learning can result in terrible consequences. What has happened to our culture that the simple process of finding out what something means or how to do something correctly is avoided by so many people? Not having Internet access is no excuse; I did pretty well when I relied on the local library or bookstore.

Is it a time problem? Is everyone so busy that s/he can no longer afford to learn something new?

Is it laziness?

Or is the entire skill of learning something we have forgotten?

4 Comments:

I thought about that, but it seems that many of the people I hear this from do know how; they just don't do it. But, as you say, there are thousands who never learned how.

By Blogger Diane, at 5:17 PM  

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

By Blogger Sour Duck, at 8:03 PM  

Being ignorant is easier, so I'd guess laziness. There's also the distractions like TV and video games, music, etc. That takes up most people's spare time.

Sad, isn't it?

I know few people who actually take time to even read a book.

By Blogger Unknown, at 12:37 PM  

prada handbags, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, christian louboutin, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, nike outlet, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin uk, michael kors outlet online, longchamp outlet, uggs outlet, chanel handbags, gucci handbags, replica watches, nike air max, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, kate spade outlet, uggs outlet, burberry outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet store, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, tiffany and co, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, christian louboutin shoes, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, nike air max, tiffany jewelry

By Blogger oakleyses, at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home