Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The best first-day-of-summer celebration possible

Is mine all mine. I had my first Creole tomato sandwich of the season today. It is hard to explain the Creole tomato to someone who has never eaten one, but suffice it to say that the second day of Wimbledon and the first Creole tomato sandwich totally makes my day, despite the terrible thing that happened in the first round of the tournament.

Daniilidou's win wasn't a total surprise to me; I said yesterday I thought it might happen. Despite most of the tennis press and most tennis forecasters saying Henin-Hardenne would win the tournament, I knew she would have trouble against the recently-returned-from-injury Daniilidou, provided Daniilidou didn't cave in to fear. Only yesterday, world number one Lindsay Davenport told an interviewer she wasn't too sure about Henin-Hardenne's chances to win Wimbledon.

Yesterday, one of my favorite players, clay court expert Patty Schnyder, was knocked out in the first round, too. But at least I still have Lindsay, Amelie, Kim, and tomato sandwiches.