Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Why Americans are on so many mood-altering pharmaceuticals

This is a converation I had this morning with a staff member of the Post Office:

"Yes?"

"We didn't get any mail yesterday at _________."

"What did they tell you when you called it in?"

"I'm calling it in now."

"You didn't call yesterday?"

"The Post Office was closed by the time we got home."

"Oh."

"I just thought I should let you know."

"What is the name?"

"____. And ________."

"What?"

"There are two names."

"Two names?"

"Two names."

"What are they?"

"____ and ________ (I spell them)."

"And what did the Post Office person you talked to tell you?"

"I didn't talk with anyone."

"Oh."
" Do you have mail today?"

"The flag is still up."

"And when you called and made the report, what was said to you?"

"I didn't call. I told you that."

"Oh."
"Maybe you just didn't get any mail."

"We always get mail."

"People sometimes don't get mail."

"Not us."

"Well, there's nothing here for you. If it happens again, be sure to call me."