Tuesday, March 08, 2005

This is what an "animal lover" looks like

I went to get my hair cut last week, and there was a new person washing hair. She was a motormouth with a long-lasting battery, too, which means I didn't have to say anything. She said she was moving out of her big house and into a condo, but the condo rules permitted only two pets, and she had four--two dogs and two cats. She said her husband hated all of them, so he was no help, but she wanted to find homes for two of her "beloved" pets.

Then she told me what a dedicated animal lover she was, by way of telling me she had had her indoor (meaning the other cat was left to weather the elements, contract diseases, wreak havoc on other people's cars, gardens, and homes, get hit by cars, beaten up by dogs, abused by antisocial people, and wounded in fights) cat declawed. It's a good thing I couldn't get a word in, or I would have had a word she wouldn't have liked.

As if that weren't enough, she then told me about a neighbor who deserted her puppy for a week, leaving it with no shelter (in the winter), no food, and no water. She took the puppy in, and then apologized to the neighbor for doing so. When I could finally edge a word in, I asked what happened when the police came, and she said "Oh, I didn't call the police."

I was so thankful I have short hair.