Sunday, September 19, 2004

Jimmy Swaggart, known for his own sinful escapades with a hooker, has crossed a line that will most likely be ignored by the news media, since they ignore everything else. In discussing gay marriage and gay men, he said "If one ever looks at me like that, I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died."

Swaggart, who was on a tirade about "idiotic" politicians and judges, went on to say, "I'm not knockin' the poor homosexual, I'm not. I thank God that President Bush has stated we need a Constitutional amendment that states that marriage is between a man and a woman."

Like the right-wing radio talk show hosts who toss out the idea of physically hurting liberals and gay citizens, Swaggart has made it clear he thinks it is okay to kill gay men. His hatred and ignorance are matched only by his narcissism: What gay man on Earth would give Swaggart any kind of look?

Of course, the irony of this whole concept is that it has never been gay men making unwanted hits on other men--it has always been straight men making unwanted hits on women. And the men who are most prepared to avenge an imagined advance from another man would probably be the first to call for the head of a woman who bloodied a man who hit on her. It goes without saying that some of these men make hits on women.

Years ago, I was in a bookstore in a liberal neighborhood, and was surprised to hear a man complaining that he had gone to a gym, and there were gay men there. "They'd better not make any moves on me," he told the clerk. I said to him "Sir, I don't think you have anything to worry about."