Sunday, October 12, 2003

Much has been made of Maryland First Lady Kendel Ehrlich's statement that "if I had an opportunity to shoot Britney Spears, I think I would," yet nothing has been made of the truly offensive thing she said immediately after the unfortunate Britney remark:

"I hate to say that, but you know, like I said, I'm raising a boy... and I think, 'Oh my goodness, what would I do if I had a daughter who is seeing these images and having peer pressure?' "

Well, good for Ehrlich. Her son can look at stimulating sexual images all he wants and be subjected to massive peer pressure, and she doesn't have to worry about it. After all, young girls have sex and get pregnant all by themselves.

The notion that girls must be protected and preached to, and boys can just go on being boys is not only a direct sabotage of any hope of teaching responsible sexuality--it is also the guiding concept behind all sexism. For an influential woman to promote the double standard in 21st Century America is frightening and disgusting.