Tuesday, October 08, 2002

This afternoon, I listened to a local radio talk show while I was in my car. The host was angry because network television didn't air the President's Monday night speech (apparently, he hadn't heard that the White House didn't offer it to the networks, an interesting subject in itself, but I digress). And he was angry that "some American men and women chose not to listen to the speech." Well, he's entitled to have any feelings he wants, but his justification was that it was every man's and woman's responsibility to listen to that speech as part of his or her civic and moral duty, blah, blah, blah.

Pardon? I have been studying the goings-on in Iraq and in the United States very carefully for a long time. I have done extensive reading and thinking and research about terrorism, oil, defense, and the strategies of our government. That doesn't mean I'm an expert--I most certainly am not--but I feel quite sure I've put in countless more hours studying and analyzing the issues than most Americans. And it is precisely because I have paid attention to the issues that I can think of a lot better way to spend a Monday evening than listening to the alleged leader of the free world. It was, in fact, my attention to the issues that prevented my voting for Bush.

George W. Bush, who was unable to identify the Taliban during the Presidential election...George W. Bush, who has never had a real job in his life...George W. Bush, who owes his last drop of blood to the oil companies who put him in office...George W. Bush, whose minions stole the election...George W. Bush...whose past is one of chicanery and dishonesty...George W. Bush, who is an ignorant philistine...George W. Bush, whose sympathy is with the people who want to force their right-wing religion on the rest of us.

I think I did my civic and moral duty by choosing to be informed and to think for myself.