Tuesday, September 17, 2002

Sometimes, when I'm in my car, I listen to Rush Limbaugh, though this is something I can't do for very long at a time without experiencing nausea. I tuned in a few days ago and he was talking with an animal rights activist. The man was calmly explaining that he was distressed because farm chickens have their beaks cut off and are starved, and that they and many calves and other creatures are placed in crates so small they can't move. "And I'm glad," Limbaugh replied, "because that means I get to eat meat."

Limbaugh went on to say that he was a great supporter of provisions against cruelty to pets, but that animal husbandry was a different matter. "That's what those animals are raised for."

I do not eat meat and do not think it is right to eat fellow creatures. However, I cannot imagine that all meat-eaters agree that it is acceptable to torture farm animals, and that only a few lucky "pets" should be protected from cruel treatment.

Limbaugh went on to tell the caller that "You people"--meaning the animal liberation movement--"need to change your focus." He explained that he thought the movement was harmed by those who believe that all creatures are equal, and referred to people with such beliefs as "total fringe," "nuts," etc. This, of course, means that the millions of Buddhists in the world are nutcakes. Rush said so. Now I understand.